Saturday, August 28, 2010

It happens in a blink...

I am finding it difficult to believe that it has been 4 weeks since Steve's accident. At times it seems like it has been longer, yet at other times it seems just like yesterday. I feel like I have been dealing with the banks and life insurance for MONTHS...yet it has only been weeks. I feel blessed that I was married to such a smart financial man. Many people rely only on the life insurance that is provided to them through their employer. But Steve, wow.. I think we had not even been married a year when we set up additional life insurance, what a true blessing. It is something that you hope you will never need to use, but in my case, I am so glad he had the foresight to go ahead and take care of this for us and for our children. If you need a great Life Insurance guy let me know...ours has been WONDERFUL through all of this---he even makes house calls.

Another thing that he did about 7 years ago is to set up a Trust, where all our assets would go in case something happened to either one of us...this has kept us out of probate and has had many other benefits. I truly remember him trying to explain this to me, but I didn't get it...but "trusted" him so I signed the papers. What a gem I had!

I was telling my dad this morning that one of the most frustrating things for me at this point is the fact that I cannot remember anything or think straight. I am glad my cell phone has a calendar on it, as most days I am not even sure of the day of the week, much less the date. For any of you who know me...I am a details person, I don't miss much. But wow! This has thrown me for a loop. So be patient with me and give me some grace because truly I may not intentionally do something..just kindly remind me of things that I should or should not be doing. There are so many people that have asked "what can I do to help?" Truly, my brain is not functioning like that right now, I am not thinking of the future...just trying to get through the day. So please don't think I don't need your help, as I am living moment by moment...so if you think of something or see something that needs to be done..do it or ask me specific things, as I may not be thinking about that particular thing. For instance, I had a very nice friend and mom to one of Spencer's friends that emailed me and told me she picked up Spencer's band book...ummm didn't even realize he needed one...I am sure he told me, but it didn't get written down, so it didn't get remembered.(Thanks Andrea!) So if you tell me something and it's important...make sure I write it down or call and remind me a few times. Truly I am grateful for all the love and support I have had, it has been amazing. If you are ever in the neighborhood come by and chat and sit for awhile...as that brings much comfort to me.

One more update. I have had several people ask about Sam's diet...Yes I am still doing her diet. It is going good----not perfect, but good. With all the stress, I would be foolish to think we would be seizure free at this point. We need prayers for her not to be so stinkin stubborn and to eat her food. It's a control game with her and she likes to store her food in her mouth. If she doesn't eat the food, then there isn't enough fat in her body to help control the seizures...so truly we do need prayers for her. We have seen a reduction in seizures but they have not been eliminated yet. We go Thursday for a "check-up". I am hopeful that at the end of three months we will be seizure free. But one of the best benefits we have seen..... the night Steve passed she slept through the night and has ever since....some think it's the diet......me........I think it's because her daddy is with her at night. Thanks honey!

4 comments:

  1. Great update Melissa! Think of you every day!
    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, I bet you are 100% right on Steve being with her at night. I have friends whose children talk about playing and talking with grandparents they never met. One day Sam will have the words and be able to tell you all about the nights Steve sat and kept her company so you could get your rest. My mother also talks about her loved ones visiting her at night - I don't know much about it because she doesn't talk about it much, but Mom definately believes!

    Tammie Livingston

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just thinking how quickly the month has gone. Hard to still believe, Steve was such an awesome husband and father! Taking care of you even after he's gone. Awesome! Sami sleeping thru the night is most amazing gift! I truely believe Steve is with her and she feels safe. We have a windchime hanging in our bedroom that was Duke's mom's. No matter where we have lived, ever so often it will jingle...puts us at peace. You know I'm here and will never be far away, with an ear for listening or a shoulder to cry on! Karie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew that Sami had slept through the night once but I am so glad to hear that she is continuing to sleep through the night. It took my breath away when you said that you think she is sleeping through the night because her daddy is with her. I never thought of that but you are probably right. I am so glad to hear that Steve is continuing to take care of you with your insurance and the trust. It is so good that he was so organized and thought to take care of these things just in case. Please know that you, Spencer, Sydney and Sami as well as Steve's family continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. I am here for you if you need anything.

    Donna Everett

    ReplyDelete