Monday, August 23, 2010

Happy Birthday Steve

Today started the year of firsts for us...First birthday to celebrate without my dear sweet husband. Steve was never big on celebrating his birthday, but always went along for the kids sake. We decided to celebrate Steve style. We stopped and bought balloons and the kids tied a note to theirs to send to Steve. Next stop...go kart riding...that is where we released the balloons. Steve loved and I mean LOVED to ride go karts. He was such a nice, caring and compassionate man---except on the go kart course and then it was all or nothing! Today riding was fun and sad all at the same time but yet healing to our soul. We then headed to go and see Toy Story 3...a movie we said we were going to take in before school started. Steve would have loved this movie with all the puns. Our evening finished off with Spencer's Boy Scout Court of Honor where he received 10 merit badges....ones that he had earned at camp this summer with Steve. It was a hard day for all but we have vowed that every August 23rd we will ride go karts and watch Toy Story 3...oh yeah and have a silly string fight.




















I love you Steve and always will. I hope you enjoyed your birthday...I know we enjoyed celebrating and remembering you. Hugs and kisses....

4 comments:

  1. Melissa, I have read your blog since Steve passed. In the few years that I have known you and served with you, I found you to be great person to be around and to have a lot of insight. What I didn't realize is that you are truly an amazing woman. I think of you all the time and your three beautiful children. You have such a wonderful gift and I want to thank you for sharing. Rachelle Walker

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure he loved every bit of it. He actually was probably laughing at yall the whole time. Way to take his special day and make it something he would be proud of! I love the pictures!!! Keep holding strong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa,

    It's a better feeling to see you all smiling in the birthday pictures. For the past few Sundays, I have watched you sit at church and hug your children during the service and stroke Spencer's hair. You are a wonderful Mom. Last Sunday I saw your amazing smile whilst talking to one of the band members. I felt incredibly relieved to see that.
    I really hope you manage to write a book one day for your children, you have a great talent for writing and they would appreciate the memories and laughs and how much you deeply loved one another and created three brillaint kids together. You are still very much in my thoughts & prayers. Things do quiet down after a while. If you ever need any thing, please do not hesitate to contact me. nzaun@adorn.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful day! I love the pictures and I love seeing all the smiles. I bet Steve loved it!
    Prayers!

    ReplyDelete