Friday, August 20, 2010

Bitter Sweet......

Today I receive a package in the mail from Midwest Transplant Network. At first I couldn't open it because of what I knew was inside of it....the list of what tissues and other things that were donated to others from Steve. The finality of it all brought tears to my eyes and it was so hard to breathe. I knew these papers were coming as I was the one that said yes to donating, as I know that Steve would have wanted that. I so could hear him saying "what good are they doing me?". But to see the list in black and white...I knew that would be difficult. I finally opened it and was amazed.....truly amazed at how many people he helped even after his death. They were able to recover grafts of bone and its associated connective tissue, heart valves, skin, pericardium and his corneas. They estimated that he helped over 50 people...what a true gift! I am hopeful that one day I may get to meet someone that was helped by this donation. Steve is living on in many of us...some more than others.

10 comments:

  1. That is incredible! I am so glad that you made this decision. He IS living!

    Even though I say I want to donate, I need to make sure that my family knows this too. Thank you for reminding me that I need to communicate this wonderful decision with them. ~Teresa Feagans

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa,

    As I read this, Steve was playing the drums again in the Sky tonight. Teresa is right "HE IS living"! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, it's inspiring to everyone.

    Chris Hagan

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a truly wonderful way to honor your husband's spirit and memory. We are continuing to pray for you and your family.

    Sarah Bertolino

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that is such a legacy to your husband's life.

    My dad just had a heart transplant the end of May. I can't begin to tell you how much it has changed all of our lives. His donor was a very young man who had just began to live his life. My dad just recieved a letter from the young man's family and it was so incredible to read how thankful they were that their son was able to save and help so many and they hoped that they would meet them all someday to see that life saving action at work and to share with each one what a wonderful man he was in life. Story sounds so similar. Truly a legacy! It sounds like your husband was so giving in life as he was as he passed.

    My thoughts continue to be you and your family. Praying that you will find a little peace and comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing gift Steve (and you) have given to others. I can not imagine going through what you are going through. You are teaching so many through your blog about so much. Sending prayers for continued peace and comfort for you all during this time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Thats fantastic! What hope you have given to others through Steve! Thinking of you always! Karie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing just amazing. Chris and I met your mom and dad for lunch yesterday! The couldn't tell us enough about this gift he gave. I am in shock that so many could really be helped from one wonderful man. That is a true blessing, Way to go Steve!

    I am glad to see that things for you and the kids are "kind of" going back to a normal routine too. We are always thinkin of you. Love you tons

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think of you and your family everyday. The strength you have lets us know we will be okay in tragedy. You have handled everything with such grace my dear, thank you for your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praying for you and your family. What a great gift you have given. My baby niece is on her second cornea transplant......everything helps.....and this is the amazing gift that keeps on giving. I am so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Melissa, my heart simultaneously breaks and rejoices with this information! I see how my brother is rejuvenated after his transplant so I know what good it does. It's just another one of those things I say I wish didn't have to happen. I miss my friend and running mentor, not a day has gone by that I don't think about him. Thanks for the wonderful reminders on your blog. We do take so many things for granted. Continued love and prayers to you!!

    ReplyDelete