Tonight was a joyous, yet very sad night. This was the annual fundraiser for the Lee Ann Britain Infant Development Center where Sam goes to school. This the place where Steve and I found a safe haven for our beautiful daughter that didn't quite fit the mold as most children. This is where we found hope. Hope....something most people have when they hold their precious baby in their arms, but for us, 3 years ago, we were not quite sure where life would lead us and they gave us back the hope that we needed.
This is the same center that has fully embraced us since Steve's death. God led us to them, and for that I will be forever thankful.
The fundraiser is truly one of the most AMAZING fundraisers I have ever attended. Rows upon rows of silent auction items and then several live auction items. I was doing fine while browsing the silent auction items. I bid and won the precious platter that has Sam's handprint on it, along with her classmates, in a shape of a Christmas tree. Will try and post pictures later, as it is too cute! It was time for dinner and we wound our way to the table. All of us sat, all 9 of us, leaving an empty seat...and that is when it hit me. Steve's seat was empty... There were many speakers giving their testimonies and it was so touching. Steve would have loved to have stood up there and told everyone what IDC has meant to us. He was Sam's biggest cheerleader. He LOVED taking her to school and looked forward to her "special days" when he got to be in the classroom with her. Sam's teacher's fondest memory of Steve was watching him in the dress up area with the kids...pink boa and all. He truly was a big kid at heart.
They call this fundraiser "Tiny Tim" and truly in the words of Tiny Tim...God bless us, everyone..For even through the dark hours and days we are blessed. Blessed with the family and friends that have embraced us, blessed with the Lee Ann Britain Center, blessed with God's love. It is during these difficult times that we can choose run or choose to grow in our faith. I choose the latter.

I had a feeling you'd post a new blog tonight. You amaze me and I thank God for your continued faith. Love you friend! Karie
ReplyDeleteWhat wonderful people....I am sure he was bragging all about it in heaven. I can not wait to see your plate, sounds so cute.
ReplyDelete