Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Happy Birthday Sweet Sam!


Sam was supposed to be here on October 10th... the only child of mine that was almost born on their actual due date.  She has taught us so much about life from the get go.  She spent the first few days of her life in the NICU.....weighing 8 pounds she was huge compared to the other babies in there.  Her stay was brief in comparison to many babies...only 4 days.  She was not breathing out of the left side of her nose so they whisked her away pretty quick after she was born.  I learned very quickly to slow down and appreciate the small things in life, to celebrate even the small successes.  Over the years she has taught me patience... patience with her, patience with doctors, patience with myself and patience with God's timing.  I have always said she was a puzzle from the get go, and slowly we are finding and placing all those pieces together.  Her dear sweet dad cried the day she was born.  He was a sweet and loving dad and she had him wrapped around his finger.  I am grateful for those sweet memories. 

In honor of her turning 8 here are the 8 things I love about Sam!

1.  Her shirt reads "Love Your Life"....and that Sam does...
2.  She has the most infectious giggle that warms your heart
3.  Snuggles our cat is her favorite...shhhh don't tell the dogs. Sam's first place to go in the morning is to find Snuggles...then she lays on her, beside her, near her....
4.  I love the way she says "horse", "football" and so many other words I never thought I would hear
5.  I love how she takes things in stride, there isn't much that bothers her...a cast/boot on your foot for almost a year, surgery on both feet...no problem..
6. Sam loves to be tickled, to tickle others and to have others tickle each other....it doesn't matter if she knows you or not....don't believe me...ask Dr. Gupta and his nurse.
7.  While most of the time it is frustrating from my end, I love the fact that she is starting to show independence and take control of her life....just wished it didn't involve holding food in her mouth, climbing on the island...Small successes...I need to remember that!
8. And last but not least I love that her whole face lights up when she smiles....it can warm your soul

Sam may not have very many words, but she says so much with her eyes, smile and actions.  She is one smart little cookie.  I am blessed that she calls me mom.....or mama.... Happy Birthday Sweet Sam!


No comments:

Post a Comment