I wasn't a perfect wife, but I was perfect for him, however, I have had a lot of time to reflect on my marriage and what I would do differently if I had a second chance with Steve. I can remember when we decided to have children so many people told us to make sure that we took time for each other and that we continued to date one another and to keep the spark alive. Sadly, we didn't listen to this advice....Don't get me wrong, we didn't have a horrible marriage, but I sit and wonder how AWESOME it could have been if we would have made a few small adjustments. I challenge you to sit and think where your marriage struggles at times and try and make a few small adjustments to make your marriage and even better marriage. And if you are single, divorced, or an only parent, think about what has gone wrong in previous relationships and what you can and will do when the right person comes along. Why do we stop learning and growing in our love relationships? Why do we become so complacent? I mean this is a person we want to spend eternity with, why wouldn't you want it to be the best that it could be? Pray daily for your relationships.
Another area that I feel I have grown in is that I truly try not to sweat the small stuff.....maybe a little too much to a fault. Losing someone you love tends to put life into perspective. It truly drives me crazy to see people get so wrapped up in the petty stuff. While I have had a horrific thing happen to me, I refuse to let that comsume me...I choose to see all the blessings I have in my life. I do still have an occasional poor pitty me day, but I think we all do. But mostly I try to remember what is truly important in life and that is the relationships that you have with people. Focus on people----people.
As more time goes by it is harder in some ways because you close chapters in your life that once contained that person and begin new ones that don't have them in it. I often catch myself thinking was that before or after Steve died...and that makes me sad. As I sit and type this tonight I cry because I know exactly what I was doing 2 years ago at this time and know that in just a few short hours it was all taken away. I am a much different person that I was 2 years ago...and I will never be that person again.
As July 31st gets here tomorrow...do me a favor...LOVE and I mean LOVE the people in your life unconditionally and give them grace. Don't try and change them into the person you want them to be, love them for who they are and make small changes to improve your relationships. And....if you live near a QuikTrip....go and have a Chicken Taquito in Steve's honor. Why a Chicken Taquito??? Well, it wasn't until I started going through all his receipts that I realized how much Steve loved them, or was it because it was a cheap meal? That will be one question I will ask him when I get to heaven.
As for the kids and I....I think my friend Kathy said it best...We are thriving....because of God's love and the love of all those around us. Thank you to all who continue to help, pray and support us. We will continue to do so because that's how we roll....in Steve's honor.



Melissa, Thank you for that it was wonderfully written. I am taking your advice to heart and even though things are still in a sad, lonely place for us I think God will show me the way and whatever that way is, your words will be with me. I love you for your strength, courage, faith and honesty. Love to you and your family. Can't wait to see you soon~ Kelly
ReplyDeleteHugs!!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Melissa ... we have thought of you so much the past few days as the anniversary date approached, reliving the exact moment we received the news -- seems like it was just yesterday. Thank you for your words as they are a stark reminder of how short life really is. Love you all and will be thinking of ALL of you tomorrow ... Staci
ReplyDeleteMelissa - I shouldn't have read this at work! Now I have to compose myself. I'm so glad I've gotten to know you through soccer and you are such an inspriation to all of us. You know that he is proud of you, you have done a beautiful job with your children and I don't think i've ever seen you without a smile. Thank you for the reminder that we all need to care and love one another. Thinking of you today...Jen Schumacher
ReplyDeleteMelissa,
ReplyDeleteI know that you and I were not very close in highschool, but I just wanted to say that you have moved me so much by what you have written. I, too, have a family with 3 kids and I admire your strength so much. I will take your advice and love more and slow down and enjoy them. God Bless you and your family.
Jen (Johnston) Chromy
Again...we've never met...although we have many mutual friends in the Lee's Summit area. Your story has touched me from the beginning, and it still does. There are times when out of the blue, I'll think of you and your journey - not a journey you chose, but a journey that you were forced down and have amazed me (and everyone) with just how much strength and courage you've shown. I admire you for your brutal honesty in your blog; it has to be hard, and yet you put it out there, and by doing so, you've given many of us so many things to think about. Thank you for that. I still pray for you and your family; I check in now and then to see how you're doing. Take care and {{{virtual}}} hugs!
ReplyDelete