It's been 327 days since he passed...327...hard to believe. We have had plenty of rough days, some good days and some days that we smile. But truly, Sunday, June 19th was the most heart wrenching, suck the air right of you day. Father's Day will never be the same for us again. For my kids no longer have a Father to celebrate with, to make cards for, to go on picnics with, to eat ice cream with....gone are those days...it was ripped from them some 327 days ago.

While most people went on with their day, some sent nice notes, gave me hugs or said nice words to me. Never did I think this would be THE hardest day since he passed. Now that I have had time to reflect, I feel that this was the hardest day because all the other "holidays" focus on other people and we tend to be surrounded by lots of family....which is always a good distraction. There was a huge, gaping hole at the picnic....no one to hold hands with on the walk on the trail....we carried on in tradition to what we have always done for Father's Day, but the pain was so intense. A pain I probably needed to feel, but gosh darn it hurts. We survived though...we made it through. We added a new tradition to this Father's Day...we purchased balloons and wrote messages to their dad and released them....a tradition I would rather not have....


I am blessed to have a wonderful and caring dad still in my life, and his day was overshadowed this year because of the pain we are still facing. The best thing, I know he understands and doesn't judge me...so thanks dad...love you lots!
Another thing that truly is maddening to me is when people could see or talk to their dad on this day, but don't. Ok trust me I know about family problems and tense situations when it comes to family, but it breaks my heart to know that people can't take time from their busy lives and make a call, spend a few hours with their family...THEIR FAMILY...the good the bad and the ugly...but they are FAMILY!!! What my kids would give to spend just a few more moments with their dad...moments...something you can never get back. Jobs can wait, pride can be set aside, but there will come a day when those days and moments will cease... and all that will be left for your loved ones are memories....so don't rob people from making good memories with you.
I know that we are truly blessed because we have so many great memories of Steve. One that made us smile this Father's Day....we went to Dairy Queen and got his favorite..The Buster Bar. You see Steve truly loved Peanut Buster Parfaits, but would eat the Buster Bar because it was cheaper...this is so Steve...

Thanks for the memories sweetie...we sure do miss you...and will continue to honor you every day.

Amen to taking time for family!!! Love you all so much! So wish I could spend more time w/ all of you. Will in August.
ReplyDeleteLove you,
Kim
So sorry Melissa! Its still unbelievable he's been gone almost a year! I still think about you and the kids every single day. I know you know this, but I will always be here for you and the kids, always.
ReplyDeleteKarie