Monday, December 20, 2010

I have learned...

There has been so much that I have learned through this horrible tragedy. So much about myself and so much about others.

I have learned that I am stronger than I ever thought possible, yet can crumble in a moments notice.

I have learned that many people reach out and lend a helping hand, while other sit by because they don't know how to offer help. Neither being right or wrong, just things that I have noticed.

I have learned that many people don't know what to say, and so some times they say dumb things that they later wish they could take back.

I have learned that people are funny creatures...we are all so unique with the way that we respond to others. There have been many times that I have been humbled beyond words to the generosity of those around us and frustrated by others because of their lack of compassion for those with an aching heart.

I have learned to let go of the little things that used to bother me, and trust me there is plenty...as I feel like I could author a book called "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff", but that has already been written..

I have learned that I have to follow my heart and do what is right for myself and for my children, even if that isn't "popular" with everyone.

I have learned that I must continue to live in faith, even when it is hard.

I have learned to ask for help when I need it most and to accept help when it is offered.

But the main thing I have learned is that this is not a process but a journey....a journey that will have many detours, bumps, and break downs, but with God's grace we will make it through.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Melissa....I for one will take the statement about people saying dumb things....I know you probably did not really mean me but I think of how many times I say..."Hi, How are you doing?" Dumb, Dumb, Dumb!!!!!!!!! I know for the most part how you must be. I remember a card that Shelli sent a friend when her baby died that said..."I can not say that I know how you feel going through this but...I know how I feel!!!!!!" So...I don't know how you feel but I do know how I feel and it is sad!!!!! God will continue to bless you and make it easier....I DO know that!!!!! Love, Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa,

    Maybe that book "Don't sweat the small stuff" has already been written but you could find another title. You're a gifted writer and maybe you should consider putting pen to paper and writing a book. Yeah, I know it might sound silly in a way but I'd bet if you asked all 51 people, who follow your blog, they would say that they've found your blog helpful. I know I sure have! I've known you since College and have always thought a great deal of you. You're a great person and you have a great deal to offer. The one thing I didn't know is that you have a talent for writing and painting a picture with words.

    As for the not knowing what to say... I seem to fall in that category. Hopefully I haven't said anything dumb :-) There have been so many times I wanted to say something but didn't know where to start or what to say because I didn't want to trigger something that would make you hurt. As a result of not knowing how to say it to you I started to put all my thoughts down in a blog of my own because I didn't know what to say or how to say it... So you see, there you go again, teaching and helping others via your blog. Perhaps Melissa Gouldsmith the Author isn't such a far fetched idea huh? Something to think about... I personally think you'd make a great author!

    Thoughts & Prayers from us all,

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mellisa,
    I like Vicki's quote, "Can't say I know how you feel, but I know how I feel." You are a gifted writer, I am inspired by your words in these blogs. I still think of you all everyday. It is hard to find the right words sometimes. Alot of times it may be the wrong thing to say, either way I still carry you all in my heart everyday. It really hits me at church, you and the kids, Eddie (hope thats right), it breaks my heart, so I can't imagine how it feels for all of you! Ok, I'm babbling...to wrap it up. Please know we love you and the kids! Merry Christmas! Enjoy making new memories and I will be thinking of you! Hugs.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa, I know that you made me smile today! Thanks for the gift card and the hug. I wish you and the kids a peaceful CHRISTmas and a relaxing break. Love you and the kids so much.
    Thanks for always making me think with your blogs. You should write a book, you are a gifted writer!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow-you are truly an inspriring woman!Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love to you all from Texas. We will be thinking and praying for you all holiday. I am so proud of you for doing what is right but not popular. I think we all strive for it but it is often so very hard!! Our love to you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am thankful to read your blog each time you post. It means you are still able to wrap your head around the situation, even if it is very hard, and think about what is best for your people. I enjoyed reading all that you have learned. What you don't know is you have taught many others things they may need to know too...I always make Chris write down pass words and such because of all your heartache. We hope you have a joyful holiday and think of you daily. Lots of love from the Roberts!

    ReplyDelete