Saturday, October 9, 2010

Happy Birthday Sam!


It is hard to believe that it's been 5 years since I gave birth to Samantha. Born 10/9/05 at 9:05...and then wisked away to NICU. It has been a long, hard road with her, but one I wouldn't trade for anything in the world. Today is also one of the stupid "firsts"...the first birthday that was celebrated without Steve here with us...I know he will always be with us, but you know what I mean....


So in honor of her birthday...5 things I love about Sam...


1. Her laugh...be it the heart warming one, or her new "halloween" laugh

2. Her squeezes...AKA hugs

3. The attitude she has about life...happy go lucky...let's enjoy life

4. Her love for music...even if I have to sing a song 10,000 times..music makes her HAPPY!

5. Her ability to show me to be patient and wait...as things don't always come easy, but it is worth the wait.


Just an update about her diet. A little background for some...Samantha began having seizures almost 2 1/2 years ago. She has absence seizures where she is "checked out" for about 5-10 seconds at a time. The best we can figure when she was first diagnosed was she was having 100+ a day. Now that she has been on the ketogenic diet for 2 1/2 months on her worst days she has around 20 a day. We aren't seizure free, but wow has God done amazing things. She has more energy, is trying to talk more and is just LOVING life. Our goal is to be seizure free but we are still tweaking the diet to get her calories correct. Because she has more energy she is burning more calories than she used to, so we have to get those leveled off. She is actually enjoying the food and doesn't fight me anymore. We can actually sit at a restaurant and eat and she doesn't try and get the food we are eating. I truly believe in my heart that she realizes it is the food that is making her feel better. God is SO good.


Happy Birthday dear sweet Sam! Your dad and I love you more than you could ever imagine!

No comments:

Post a Comment