Thursday, October 12, 2023

18 Hits Harder With a Special Need Daughter

 




While 18 marks a huge milestone for many children and parents, it’s quite different when your child has special needs.  Instead of it marking the passage into “adulthood”, it is instead having your child served with papers that states “ a petition has been filed alleging you are incapable of caring for yourself and/or of managing your property”. To see that in black and white, it hits hard.  While I have always known Sam would forever be in my care, sometimes it just hits harder than others.  



About 6 months ago I started the process to retain guardianship and conservatorship of Sam.  This entailed meeting with a lawyer.  We had to obtain a letter from her doctor stating that she is unable to care for herself and that it is best that she have someone with her at all times.  What is crazy is that I have to pay for my lawyer, a lawyer for her, and court costs so they can determine that I am still ok to take care of her, otherwise, she would become the responsibility of the state.  To say that this has been an emotional rollercoaster is an understatement. As a parent of a special needs child you are fully aware of what they are not capable of, but to have to put that in writing and then fight for the right to continue to care for them is difficult.   I don’t write this for sympathy, I write this to give a perspective of what many can’t even begin to understand.  


At this time in most parent's lives, they are dreaming about being empty nesters.  The time when you can just pick up and go, be spontaneous and carefree.  That is something Brian and I will never experience. While we all know that Sam brings so much joy to our lives, it would be remiss to say that it isn’t exhausting being her caretaker 24/7.  Sam still doesn’t sleep through the night…..in the last 16 months, she has slept until 5 a.m. a total of 5 times.  All other times she is up during the middle of that night… so that means that I also have not slept through the night in a VERY long time.  Sam also has high anxiety at times so this requires us to be on our toes constantly and to be thinking 10 steps ahead in order to prevent a meltdown.. She still has to have help with bathing, dressing, and pretty much all daily living tasks.  


There are many times that I cannot add one more thing to my plate. My brain is constantly on, it never has a break.  I am exhausted mentally, physically, and emotionally many days, but I get up put a smile on my face, and truly try to see the blessings in life.  One of those blessings is that Sam doesn’t comprehend what she is missing out on, she just loves life.  I will continue to advocate for her, help her, love her, and be there for her but sometimes it just makes me sad that I am having to do this.  I want her to have independence but I know that she will forever be dependent on someone else.  





Please don’t think I am discounting all the blessings I know that surround me, I’m just having a moment and embracing the feelings that come with it so I can move forward. 

5 comments:

  1. You are such a blessing to all, but especially to Sam. God be with you both everyday and know there are many that know you are doing everything in your power to let Sam enjoy a wonderful life! Another friend had to go through the same thing when her son turned 18. Most difficult thing ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for putting your thoughts and feelings out there. Very well said and it highlighted certain aspects of being a mom of a child with special needs that many don’t consider.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I have always loved about your blog is that you are raw and honest. But what most don’t know is that you don’t even scratch the surface of reality. What we do know and see is that you are an awesome mom! Spencer, Sydney and Sam are so very lucky to have you fighting in their corner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa, I admire you as a mother. I know it has been rough for you but you are an inspiration for sure. Sam is happy and loves life because you have ensured that she has a good life and all the love and care she needs. I hate that you have to go through all the court stress. A mother shouldn’t have to do that. Hang in there mama. You’re doing such a good job! ♥️

    ReplyDelete
  5. You pointed out many things I didn’t know. The lawyer, the cost to prove something you’ve already been doing her whole life. Speaking of meltdowns, I’d be having them without enough 💤

    ReplyDelete