Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving


Here we are, our 2nd Thanksgiving without Steve. I have read many places that often the 2nd year without your loved one is harder than the first. So far, I have to say it is true.

True for many reasons. I think the "numbness" has worn off and the fog has lifted that I was in the first year. Reality has set in and some people forget and move on, and if you are reading this, then you wouldn't be one of those people. The kids and I are still stuck in the nightmare of him never coming home.

However, through all of this I have to say that we are at peace. Do we like the fact that he will never walk through the door, go on vacation with us or sit down to dinner with us...ummmm NO. For so long now, I have been trying to put a finger on the feeling I was having inside. And I feel that peace is appropriate...I am at peace that God is in control and have put my faith in HIM, even though at times it is hard. I am at peace that I will see Steve again one day, but still wish I could see him everyday. I am at peace that I am an only parent, and rely on others to help me with this task. I have relinquished the fact that I can control things in my life and I am at peace. No this doesn't mean that I am all happy, happy, joy, joy...far from it. But when I get in those low, low places, it truly brings me to my knees and I pray. Pray for guidance and pray for peace. So while my heart still aches, God is touching us in ways unimaginable. So in true Thanksgiving style....

I am not blessed that Steve died so soon, however, I am stronger, more empathetic, and kinder since a huge piece of my heart was ripped from me and this makes me thankful for:

family, friends, church and a community that has embraced us and helped us to not feel alone.

for those who understand my crazy sense of humor and realize that if I didn't laugh, I would cry every single day.

for my beautiful children...for their unconditional love and for truly getting what it means to be a family. We are there for each other ALWAYS and FOREVER.

that I did have at least 16 years to share a love that many will never experience. To realize that true love is not what is portrayed in Soap Operas and that true love is HARD work.

all the wonderful memories that we made together to help us keep him alive in our hearts. What an amazing man he was, and I was blessed to be called his wife.

So while this 2nd year is difficult, I will continue to go to my knees and pray and lean on God to get me through this, because truly I do not know where I would be today if it wasn't for my faith, friends and family.

6 comments:

  1. Your grace is so inspiring. Because of you, I'm more patient with my husband, laugh at all of his jokes (funny or not) and always remember only God knows what's planned for tomorrow.

    Much love,
    Bobby Brugger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers going up for you this holiday season

    ReplyDelete
  3. "...Reality has set in and some people forget and move on, and if you are reading this, then you wouldn't be one of those people."

    Still reading, still praying, and still learning from you as well.

    You and the kids are always in our thoughts & prayers Melissa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "...Reality has set in and some people forget and move on, and if you are reading this, then you wouldn't be one of those people."

    I am still praying, and reading every word you post. I am inspired by you often.

    Michelle Taylor

    ReplyDelete