Sunday, January 30, 2011

It was a God thing

Last night was the annual Lee's Summit Chamber of Commerce Dinner. It was in 2004 that Steve was named their New Member of the Year. He loved the Chamber and devoted many countless hours to serving on many committees. I was invited by a dear soul to be a guest at her table. I wasn't quite sure if I was up for the challenge, but she persisted and persuaded me I should be there. I was escorted by my wonderful brother in law Ed. Thanks for being my "date". After the dinner and auction they began their awards. When it came time for the new member of the year they announced that the awards name had been changed to the Steve Gouldsmith New Member of the Year award. And the winner was.....Marcus Henley...doesn't mean much to most of you, but to me, it meant everything. Marcus is the dad to one of the sweetest and most hard working students I have ever had. They are truly an amazing Christian family that always shared their faith with me, and for that I am blessed. This is where God intervened...you see out of the hundreds of people it could have been, the award went to someone I KNEW. As he walked to the stage to receive his award tears streamed down my face. I hate the fact that Steve is gone but truly I could not think of a better person to receive this award and I am proud to know that my husband's name will live on. Congratulations Marcus! It truly was a God thing....

And to Lynn, thank your for making me go...I wouldn't have wanted to miss it for the world. You see, in 2004, I was not at the dinner and Steve received his award. I have felt guilty about it for such a long time. Even though it was a joint decision for me to stay at home with the kids so we didn't have to pay a babysitter, I still feel guilt. Thank you Lynn, for helping me heal a little. You are a wonderful person, and I am blessed to call you my friend.

Thank you also to the wonderful people at the Chamber. You are an amazing organization and I fully understand why Steve was so committed to helping the Chamber grow.

3 comments:

  1. That is awesome, moving and tear jerking! What an awesome tribute to Steve! Its so wonderful to know Steve is still putting his mark on the world. Hugs, Karie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, amazing! I am in shock at the many ways God can show you his various paths. That is a blessing! Congrats to you for the courage to attend, I can't say I would have been as strong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa, we were so very glad that you and Ed could join us that night. And when I heard the connection with you and the Henleys, it brought tears to my eyes. You and your family are constantly in our thoughts and prayers. We miss him so much...this was just a small way to recognize what an exceptional chamber member he was!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete